There was a new Johnny Cash album released earlier this week. Here is a fantastic little video with a few artists thoughts on the legend that is Johnny Cash and their cover of one of the newly released songs. The Local Natives interpretation of the title track is super cool. Watch the video below and be sure to take the time to listen to “Out Among the Stars” the great new album from the late great Johnny Cash.
Every year for the past 5 years around Christmas time I have taken the time to create a wintry sounding mix that I have sent out to friends and family along with our annual Christmas letter. For some reason I have never thought to share that mix on here, so here it is.
A Wintry Mix: Vol. 5
1. Bob Dylan & Johnny Cash – “Girl from the North Country”
2. Water Liars – “You Work Days I Work Nights”
3. Levi Weaver – “Spirit First”
4. Hip Hatchet – “Sing Me a Reprise”
5. Shawn James – “Eating Like Kings”
6. Bear’s Den – “Isaac”
7. Noah Gundersen – “San Antonio Fading”
8. Ben Howard – “I Will Be Blessed”
9. A Great Big World – “Say Something”
10. Sia – “Breathe Me”
11. Passenger – “Let Her Go”
12. Folly and the Hunger – “Ghost”
13. The Avett Brothers – “Bring Your Love to Me”
14. John K. Samson – “Letter in Icelandic from the Ninette San”
15. Foy Vance & Ed Sheeran – “Guiding Light”
16. Chris Bathgate – “Serpentine”
17. Local Natives – “Columbia”
18. Night Beds – “22”
19. Dominique Fricot – “Seashore”
20. A Boy and His Kite – “Till the End of Time”
21. Jason Isbell – “Cover Me Up”
Here is a link to listen to the entire playlist on Spotify.
Earlier this week, Legacy Recordings released We Walk the Line: A Celebration of the Music of Johnny Cash in a deluxe CD/DVD combo format and on Blu-Ray. The album was filmed and recorded earlier this year at The Moody Theater in Austin, TX. Grammy winning producer Don Was directed an all-star roster of musicians in paying tribute to the music of The Man in Black. The album features a wide spectrum of artists, from country legends like Willie Nelson and Lucinda Williams to indie rockers like Rhett Miller and Brandi Carlile. You can catch the entire performance tonight as it will be airing on PBS this evening. But for now you can get a preview by watching Iron & Wine lay down a soulful performance of “Long Black Veil.”
Swedish sister duo, First Aid Kit, sound to me like the perfect blend of Fleet Foxes and Bat for Lashes. I’ve only vaguely followed their musical career thus far. First obsessing over their brilliant cover of “Tiger Mountain Peasant Song” off their debut Drunken Trees. Then the single “Hard Believer” off of their sophomore effort The Big Black And The Blue. And I guess this go around it will be the lovely and infectious alt-country single “Emmylou” from their most recent release, The Lion’s Roar. Sadly enough I have never taken the time to listen to any of their albums in their entirety. But after listening to this fantastic song that pays tribute to the great duos of Emmylou Harris and Gram Parsons & June Carter and Johnny Cash, I think that will have change. Check out the video for “Emmylou” below.