I HATE CHRISTMAS MUSIC
Why do I hate it? Well, in recent years it has just become a platform for crappy pop stars to keep re-covering the same christmas songs over and over. I don’t need to hear Carrie Underwood sing White Christmas, or Wynonna singing Silent Night, or any big shot artist covering a christmas classic to get me into the spirit.
I think I should stop being such a grinch, and just let the infographic do that talking. So here are some of my favorite original Christmas songs:
- Alan Parsons In A Winter Wonderland by Grandaddy
- Another Christmas Song by Stephen Colbert
- Christmas Time Is Here by Vince Guaraldi Trio
- Did I Make You Cry On Christmas Day (Well, You Deserved It!) by Sufjan Stevens
- Don’t Shoot Me Santa by The Killers
- I Hate Christmas Parties – by Relient K
- Love Came Down At Christmas by Jars of Clay
- When I Get Home for Christmas by Snow Patrol
- Xmas Party by Middle Distance Runner
I love Grandaddy‘s rendition of “Walking In a Winter Wonderland,” but that may also be because I’m a fan of The Alan Parson Project. The song features some subtle humor about Parsons, but knowing a thing about him is not required to enjoy the track. Stephen Colbert is getting exactly what he wants with the next song, he has become part of my holiday listening tradition, and it is hilarious. Fans of Arrested Development, Peanuts Cartoons, and The Royal Tennenbaums will recognize the next little gem by the Vince Guaraldi Trio. Sufjan Stevens put out his giant box set of Christmas music a few years ago, and song #4 is probably my favorite from that whole collection. The Killers’s song about a guy potentially getting murdered by Santa is interesting to say the least, watching the music video is a must. If Christmas time just gets you down, then be sure to listen to the track by Relient K. I love the next song by Jars of Clay, who took an awesome beat and made an enjoyable new Christmas classic. Snow Patrol fans should not be without song #8. I’m a huge fan, and that song is just awesome. And finally, song #9 is by Middle Distance Runner. If you’ve never checked them out, I hope this song drives you to do so.
Okay. I was a bit of a Grinch earlier, but if you examine the chart you will see that there does exist a small sliver of well done covers. So here’s three Christmas covers I do enjoy, and are part of my holiday canon:
- Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) by Death Cab for Cutie
- Holly Jolly Christmas covered by The Format
- O Come, O Come Emmanuel covered by Belle & Sebastian
These songs may not be original compositions, but I much prefer these to the originals. Death Cab’s version of “Baby Please Come Home” is just great. And a classic from Belle & Sebastian.
I hope you’ve found some new additions to your holiday listening list, and we here at IHYEB wish you a very Merry Christmas!