RW: Soulwax’s take on Eleanor Rigby

Posted: November 26th, 2008 | Author: | Filed under: Remix of the Week | Tags: , | 9 Comments »

As the holidays near, i’m starting to wonder what I’m thankful for. The first thought is definately remixes. And if I’ve learned anything over the last few months, you can’t be thankful for remixes without Soulwax.

One of my favorite remix outfits, Soulwax hasn’t spread themselves too thin. Sometimes operating under different names, such as Too Many DJ’s, and other unknown aliases, the guy’s aren’t afraid to make some noise.

Familiar with the phrase, “If you’re not pissing someone off, you’re not trying hard enough?” Well these guys surely are, taking plenty of songs that most people would soundly think do NOT need remixing, and here we are gathered to talk about one such instance.

I love the Beatles. A lot of people love the Beatles, and apparentyly the guys @ Soulwax do too. Their remix of Eleanor Rigby shows some real love to the original version.

A few small notes I took when I first “tasted” the song:

• DRUMS?!??
  • instrumental
  • works with the original flow of the song
  • keeps some of the stereo effects of the original piece
  • very electronic sounding
  • about the same length as the original song

Note: If you perfectly overlay the two songs…. it’s amazing.

Well with that I’ll leave you this remix, and have a happy & safe thanksgiving!

The Beatles – Eleanor Rigby (Soulwax Remix) (removed 2/13/09)

9 Comments on “RW: Soulwax’s take on Eleanor Rigby”

1. 1 murfo said at 5:06 am on November 27th, 2008:

very interesting indeed, thanks!

going to see them in Jan, can’t wait

2. 2 Derek said at 1:25 pm on November 27th, 2008:

definitely amazing with the layover.. just a note that it doesn’t work with the Paul McCartney version from Give My Regards to Broadstreet ;)

3. 3 yer said at 12:37 am on November 29th, 2008:

ty

4. 4 kael said at 8:08 am on November 29th, 2008:

it’s not a soulwax remix, just the bootleg eleanor rigby/tour de france (by kraftwerk) played by 2 many dj’s

5. 5 tsee said at 8:36 am on November 29th, 2008:

kael is right
    its from kraftwerk

6. 6 steve said at 10:36 pm on November 29th, 2008:

who posts 128s anymore?

7. 7 Trabalho Sujo » Arquivo » “AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, look at all the lonely people…” - OESQUEMA said at 6:33 pm on December 1st, 2008:

[...] foi recentemente comprado por 115 mil libras). O remix em si não é genial – mas é bem bom. Vale salientar os pontos que o I Hope Your Ears Bleed comentou: – DRUMS?!?? – instrumental – works with the original flow of the song – keeps some of the stereo [...]

8. 8 eLone said at 2:49 pm on December 2nd, 2008:

Ehh… not a fan.

9. 9 imissmyjuno said at 3:04 pm on December 3rd, 2008:

I’m a huge fan of Soulwax but I think this is probably one of the worst remix they’ve done. I know they felt it would be daring to remix the ‘tles but it just didn’t work out. I think they’d be better off remixing Helter Skelter or even I’m the Walrus or something.